Life 103

Sunday, August 13, 2006

summer


Lately I've been having fun with our new camera and macro lens. Photography for me is a way to notice and appreciate creation and connect with something deeper than words. I've been short on words this summer so instead of writing, I've been wandering around in the yard and pasture with camera in hand.

Yesterday I saw a flock of western bluebirds move through the back yard. On their way to somewhere else, they dropped in to hunt bugs in the grass for just a few minutes, talking to each other the whole time. Last week I went for a walk in the trees and startled a barn owl on the edge of a meadow. I couldn’t find her nest but I know I came close because I found brown and white feathers all over the ground under the trees right in the middle of our property.

I’ve been noticing feathers everywhere lately, in the garden, on the sidewalk, in the flowerbeds, in the grocery store parking lot, on a friend’s sidewalk. They remind me of God’s promise to us three years ago when we hit a bump in life’s road. That summer I found a little red and white feather in the grass and felt these words of reassurance from God himself: “I will take care of you.” And he did. Still does.

Today after church our family is going for a day hike in the Columbia Gorge. Last night was the first time in over a week that we were all together.


Summer is like that.

1 Comments:

  • I first looked at this when you posted it and meant to say how much I liked your photos, Kathy! Sorry for the delay. Enjoy the waning days of summer.

    -- Chris M.

    By Blogger Chris M., at 9:02 PM, August 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home