Life 103

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Canadian goose



I still really miss Uncle Bill and Auntie Myrtle. Mom gave me this picture last week after she said, "I used the calculator to figure out how old you are now," at my birthday dinner. We are at a petting zoo somewhere in Canada "getting out of people's hair so they could cook dinner." Next to me is my pesky brother (don't let cute and innocent fool ya, he's up to something), an older cousin and my mom. The Canadian goose I'm about to feed is going to peck my hand, completely freak me out, and send me screaming away as fast as my 18 month old legs can carry me. Uncle Bill and I laughed about that stupid goose for 40 years. That, and when a giraffe at another wildlife zoo leaned over the fence and ate my cup of soda. What's with the animals in Alberta!!?

Along with the picture, mom gave me the dress. It's blue and white with flowers and little Dutch girls dancing all around. Aunt Myrtle bought it for me that trip. I don't remember it but I do remember the picture and the story about the goose because it was re-told so many times.

Bill always called me on my birthday.

7 Comments:

  • Remind me someday to show you a picture I have of Abbie when she was about 2. We took her to the petting zoo at the zoo, and I have a precious pic of several of her little fingers firmly gripped by a goose's beak. So sad...but SO cute.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:24 PM, February 11, 2008  

  • Awesome story and great memories!

    By Blogger Mike, at 7:58 PM, February 11, 2008  

  • Geese are not friendly creatures. Why they put them in petting zoos to terrorize little children is beyond me. Denise, tell Abbie I'm sorry for her trauma! I will pray for her psychological healing. :)

    I should say that I sincerely love and appreciate the friends and family members who continue to call, email, and otherwise send blessings on my birthday!!! Bill was a kindred spirit, however, and he left a big hole in my life. It's a hole being graciously filled by many beautiful people.

    By Blogger kathy, at 8:40 PM, February 11, 2008  

  • I love memories and stories about people's lives more than just about anything. Old stories, old pictures. That to me is comforting and exciting all at the same time. I hope Heaven has a huge photo gallery and that we sit around and reminisce for centuries :)

    I also hate (ok that's a strong word for one of God's creatures-sorry God), strongly dislike geese too. I've had nightmares about them chasing and biting me all my life. I think when I was a little girl in Georgia-I actually was chased by one...you'll have to ask my dad.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 PM, February 11, 2008  

  • Oh, Michelle, not you too! Maybe we should start a "Keep Geese Away from the Children" campaign. :)

    By Blogger kathy, at 6:35 AM, February 12, 2008  

  • In my grandmother's yard, it was the mama duck that was the terror. I don't actually remember being chased by her as much as being warned by my mother to stay away.

    By Blogger Robin M., at 9:44 AM, February 12, 2008  

  • Uncle Bill leaves fond memories in my mind and heart too! I loved visiting their farm that one year I went up to visit. I don't remember a whole lot about that trip, just pieces here and there, but I do remember a few things that still stick with me to this day. Both Bill & Myrtle are definitely missed.

    By Blogger TigerGirlC, at 6:06 PM, February 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home