Life 103

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Christmas reflection

December 2005
By kathy watson

Tis the season…”for what?” you might wonder. Presents? A flurry of activity? Shopping malls with impossible parking? Spending more that we can afford? Gathering family from all corners of the earth? Yes…and no.

Tis also the season to wait and watch and expect. Expect to see and hear and feel the miracle of Jesus’ birth yet again. In this season, the world will stop and wait and watch all together at the same time for a time when that which is Divine and that which is human might intersect again.

Picture time slowly ticking by for Mary and Joseph. For nine months they waited and wondered…Can it really be? A teenage girl yet to be married, is carrying the Son of the Most High? And as she waits with Joseph, she thinks about everything. Until late one night in a stable far from home, on our behalf, they welcome God to our world. Human and Divine come face to face.

And again this year we wait and watch. Christmas reminds us of something deeper than what our culture has made it out to be so we wait expecting…knowing that all we see is not everything…that somewhere above the noise there is a whisper that calls your name. Somehow, we sense it. We know it’s coming….a time when that which is Divine will break through the barriers and encounter us again. Christmas reminds us to watch for it, to wait for it, to expect it.

Because, this is the season…when Divine and human embrace each other once again.
(These thoughts on Christmas were put together for the opening reflection at a Faith in Action Family Friends volunteer meeting last week with the words of Sarah Baldwin, GFU Campus Pastor, still ringing in my ears. Merry Christmas to the 3 people who might read this before Sunday!)

4 Comments:

  • Merry Christmas back to you!

    I'm so glad to see this blog for you, and am hoping it's a sign of hope with classes ended for the fall. I like when you write, so I'll like this.

    Let me know when you're comfortable going public, cause I'd love to link this.

    By Blogger Gregg Koskela, at 5:29 PM, December 19, 2005  

  • Hi Gregg. Thanks for stopping by. Yes, class is over and I'm waiting for the grade on my final project to know if I pulled an A after all.

    You can link this any time but must know that I probably won't post all that much and don't intend to incite controversy as you have so your faithful followers may find this rather dull. I'm also still figuring out how some of this works so they may at least get a chuckle out of my mistakes.

    By Blogger kathy, at 7:11 AM, December 20, 2005  

  • Are you saying I incite controversy?

    I don't know whether to be offended or proud. :)

    By Blogger Gregg Koskela, at 3:30 PM, December 20, 2005  

  • I thought you'd be proud or I'd have never brought it up!

    By Blogger kathy, at 5:14 PM, December 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home